Frequently asked questions
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about becoming a Desjardins Agent.
Call us to speak to a recruiter at
You don’t have to quit your job to go through the selection process, but you may need to take some time off to complete it. Please speak with your recruiter about scheduling.
You don’t need a college or university degree, but post-secondary education is recommended.
We pay for your licences during your internship period. You’ll earn your insurance producer licences after you’ve been selected for a specific location or market area.
Once you become an approved candidate, you can compete for opportunities as they become available in the market area or areas you’re interested in.
Market areas may offer new start-up opportunities, existing agency opportunities (where an Agent is retiring) or a combination of both.
After you’re selected for an opportunity, you’ll work with a field leader to determine the exact location of your office.
Learn more about the Desjardins Agent selection process
The amount Desjardins Agents need to invest depends on a variety of factors, including whether you open an agency in a large city or a small community.
As an independent contractor Agent, you’re responsible for all business expenses, but we provide significant support to help manage those expenses:
- Once you've been selected, you begin a paid internship with employee benefits.
- When you sign your agreement to become a Desjardins Agent, you receive a generous signing bonus and an additional bonus at the beginning of your second year.
During the selection process, your recruiter will offer guidance on specific cost considerations for the market area(s) you’re interested in.
There are lots of ways Desjardins Agents earn compensation and qualify for travel and other incentives. Different products have different compensation structures, which your recruiter can outline for you in detail.
Your hard work, skills and performance may be rewarded through:
- Auto and property commissions, plus opportunities to earn variable and incentive compensation
- Financial services commissions, plus the opportunity to earn other incentive compensation
- Additional business support and allowances
- First-class trips
- Company and industry recognition programs
We offer an annual investment payment program. Active Agents are eligible for 20 annual payments; these payments begin (at the Agent’s discretion) within the first five years after signing their permanent contract.
Your name is on your agency door, but you can count on us for support and guidance, including:
- One-on-one support from a Regional Director
- Invaluable insight from our claims, underwriting and marketing partners
- Compensation, licensing and contract support from our administrative support staff
- Client Care Centre support for after-hours customer service
- On-call IT assistance from our Insurance Support Centre
Want to find out more?
Get in touch with a recruiter. We’ll tell you more about becoming a Desjardins Agent and help you decide if it’s right for you. Visit our career opportunities page to find a recruiter in your area or call us at 1-855-984-7745.
We hold recruiting events throughout the year. You can get answers to your questions and meet one-on-one with a recruiter. Visit our recruiting events page to see upcoming events.
You can also hear what our Desjardins Agents have to say. Check out the Desjardins Agents video where Agents talk about their role.