Tips for dealing with property damage
If your home or property is damaged in the event of an accident or disaster, your first priority is to make sure you and your family are safe. When it’s time to assess the damage to your home or property, here are some tips that can help.
Contact your Desjardins Agent for more information.
Protect your home from further damage
- Board up broken windows and openings in the roof and walls of your home. Make sure that your property is secured prior to leaving.
- Since coverage has not been determined, if possible you should consider protecting your property from further damage by removing water in the case of a flood.
- Take pictures of damaged property prior to repairs, and present these to your claim advisor or Desjardins Insurance Agent.
- Keep an accurate record of all your repair expenditures. Submit it to your claim advisor for evaluation.
Protect your personal property from further damage
- Separate what can be cleaned and/or repaired from what cannot.
- List items that can't be saved (include brand name, age, today's replacement cost, model or serial number).
- Don't discard items until a claim advisor says it's okay.
- Take pictures of damaged property and show them to your claim advisor or Desjardins Insurance Agent.
- Our replacement service can help provide you with a quote and replace personal property that was lost, stolen or damaged.
If your home is uninhabitable
- Advance payment for living expenses may be available.
- Find temporary housing for you and your family.
- Keep all receipts associated with the temporary housing, meals and other miscellaneous expenses, in addition to your regular expenses.
- DO NOT enter into long-term leases until you talk to a Desjardins Insurance representative.
Make an inventory of your damaged property
- The inventory should be room-by-room, giving complete descriptions of the damaged property.
- The descriptions should include brand names, model numbers, age, purchase price and place of purchase.
- Other information may be necessary on certain kinds of property.
- For your future protection, make a detailed inventory of all your personal belongings. A photographic record of all items is also very valuable when it comes to settling claims.
Claim tool box
Report a claim
Start the simple process of reporting your claim here.
Reporting property damage is easy and stress-free.