Your browser settings have cookies disabled. Some features of the site are not available or will not work correctly without cookies. To do so, refer to the help section of your Web browser.

Your province

Skip to content

Property damage

Desjardins Insurance knows that dealing with damage to your property can be stressful enough on its own, the claim process shouldn’t be. Here is some useful information that can help.

Contact your Desjardins Agent if you have any questions.

Reporting damage to your property

  • Inspect your car, watercraft and home (inside and outside) for damage.
  • When you report your claim to us, we will need to know if your house is damaged so severely that you can't live in it. We will also need to know if a damaged car is safe to drive.
  • Help us handle your claim as quickly as possible by making a complete room-by-room inventory of your damage and your damaged property.
  • Descriptions of your items should include:
    • Brand names
    • Model numbers
    • Age of your items
    • Purchase price
    • Place of purchase
    • Other information may be necessary for certain kinds of property

How to file a claim? Two ways to file a claim:


Simply log in to My account to report an auto or home insurance claim. Don’t have an account? Signing up to My account is quick and easy!

On the phone

If you prefer to talk to someone to report your claim, our team is always here to help. Simply call 1-855-209-9549 or contact your Desjardins Agent.

What to expect

  • After you've reported your claim, a claim advisor will contact you.
  • Generally, we attempt to inspect all losses in a timely fashion. However, there may be situations where your claim advisor has to visit the most severely damaged homes first.
  • The initial visit may be for inspection purposes only.
  • If your house is only slightly damaged, you may wait longer than customers with severe damage.
  • Save receipts for your additional living expenses.

Call your Desjardins Agent who can explain what should expect in more detail.

If you have a home mortgage

When we pay you for damage to your home, we are required to protect the interest of the company that holds your mortgage up to the amount of the mortgage balance. This means that if there's a mortgage on your house, any claim payment will be to both you and your mortgage company. What should you do in this case?

  • Contact your mortgage company about the damage as soon as possible after you've reported your claim to us.
  • Be sure to ask about the mortgage company's procedure for endorsing your claim payment (procedures vary).

Auto coverage

If you carry comprehensive coverage on your car policy, subject to any deductible you may have selected, damage resulting from wind, hail or earthquake as well as other damage that is not a loss caused by collision as defined in your auto policy will generally be covered.

Claim tool box

Report a claim

Start the simple process of reporting your claim here.

Learn more about the claim process.

Service provider tool

Choose from a network of recommended providers.

Find a recommended provider.


Reporting property damage is easy and stress-free.

Learn more about the property insurance claim process.

Business insurance claim

We’ll guide you through your business insurance claim.

Learn more about the business insurance claim process.

This is only a general description of coverages and is not a statement of contract. Details of coverage or limits vary in some provinces. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.

Find an agent

Top of page