Updated: May 1, 2020
Supporting you is our priority
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, your Desjardins Agent is committed to supporting you during this difficult time. We’re here for you, now and always.
Relief measures for our clients
We understand that you may be struggling at this time. That’s why we want to make things a little easier for you with our relief measures.
Helping you save on your insurance
You’re driving much less
Are you using your car only for essential travel like getting groceries or trips to the pharmacy?
- You could get a refund on your auto insurance premium.
- The refund is based on minimal use of your vehicle (motorcycles and recreational vehicles are excluded). To learn more, see How is the refund calculated?
To get your refund, complete our online form by June 30, 2020. Have your policy number on hand. You’ll find your policy number on your auto insurance certificate.Complete the form
You’re not driving at all
If you decide to put your car in storage, contact your Agent for help and advice. You can also store your vehicle online: simply log in to My Account to update your policy online.
Helping you make deliveries
During the pandemic, are you using your vehicle to deliver meals, groceries or prescription drugs?
- Whether you’re making deliveries as a volunteer or as the owner or employee of a restaurant, pharmacy or grocery store, we’re offering you temporary auto insurance coverage for deliveries at no extra charge.
- This coverage applies automatically to vehicles already insured with us before April 2, 2020.
- This coverage will not be added if deliveries are made via third party apps and services like UberEats, Skip the Dishes, Instacart and Amazon Flex. These services remain a prohibited use.
Increasing your coverage if you’re working from home
Are you working from home for your employer during the pandemic?
- We’ve temporarily increased our insurance for losses affecting home-based business property to $10,000 on our home insurance policies at no extra cost. That means if you’ve had to buy items like a computer or an ergonomic chair, you can work from home with peace of mind.
- This coverage applies automatically to existing policies. There’s no need to call us.
Offering you personalized help
We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has led to financial struggles for some of our clients. That’s why we’ve adopted relief measures for customers with car, home or life insurance as well as vehicle loans.
If you need help, contact your Agent for more information and to find a solution that meets your needs.
Helping you return from the United States
Do you need to rent a car to get back to Canada quickly?
- We’re adding liability coverage for rented or borrowed vehicles (Endorsement 27) to our existing private passenger and light commercial vehicle insurance policies at no extra charge. So if you need to rent a car to drive back from the United States, you won’t have to buy the rental company’s insurance.
- If your car is in the United States longer than expected, you’ll also be covered for this period of time at no extra cost.
- These coverages apply automatically to existing policies. There’s no need to call us.
Relief measures FAQ
Auto insurance refund
Am I eligible for the refund?
You’re eligible if:
- You have an auto insurance policy with Desjardins Insurance before April 7, 2020, and your annual premium is at least $250.
- You apply for your refund by June 30, 2020.
- You normally drive at least 5,000 km per year, as stated on your policy (there is no maximum limit).
- You’ll be using your vehicle only for essential trips, like to the grocery store or the pharmacy, for the 3-month period of COVID-19 containment measures.
- Personal and commercial vehicles are eligible. Recreational vehicles like motorcycles and motorhomes are not eligible.
You’re not eligible if:
- You’re commuting to work or making deliveries.
- You’ve already put your vehicle in storage, or you do so after receiving this refund.1
- You’ve asked us to reduce your annual kilometres for limiting your vehicle use due to the containment measures, or you do so after receiving this refund.1
1. In this case, we’ll adjust any change in premium to account for any refund you’ve already received.
How is the refund calculated?
For personal insurance, your refund is calculated based on a ratio of the estimated annual kilometres on your insurance policy for the 3 months of COVID-19 containment measures.
For commercial insurance, your refund is calculated based on your annual premium, considering that you will be using your vehicle less often during the COVID-19 containment measures.
Here are some examples:
Anita drives 20,000 km per year and her annual premium is $1,700. Her estimated refund is $90.
Mark drives 10,000 km per year and his annual premium is $1,300. His estimated refund is $40.
Note: These are just examples. Your refund may be more or less than these amounts depending on your specific circumstances.
Who can apply for the refund? Can I apply for a relative?
The primary policyholder should apply for the refund. However, you can apply for a relative if they can’t do it themselves. The refund will be paid to the person who pays the policy.
What information do I need to fill out the form?
Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria described above. If you are eligible, you’ll need to provide your auto insurance policy number, your email and your phone number. You’ll also be asked to confirm that you’ll be using your vehicle much less during the COVID-19 containment measures.
You’ll need to fill out 1 form for each auto insurance policy.
There are 2 cars on my insurance policy. Will I get a refund for each one?
You’ll receive a refund for each vehicle on your policy, which will be issued in a single payment.
How will the refund be paid and when will I get it?
You should receive your refund within 14 business days. Your refund will be paid using the same payment method you use to pay your insurance premium.
For example, if you pay by pre-authorized debit, we’ll deposit your refund into the account we have on file.
If you normally pay by cheque, it may take longer to process your request. Thank you for your patience.
I’m having problems with the form, who can I speak to?
Get in touch with your Desjardins Agent, who will be able to help you complete your request.
What should I do if the emergency measures continue for a longer period?
We’re staying on top of government directives as the situation evolves. For now, the refund applies to the 3 months of COVID-19 containment measures.
We’re here for you
Online or by phone
If you need to access your insurance documents, modify your policy or make a claim, our online services are always available.
Visit our My Account page to log in to your secure account, create an account, or download our mobile app.
Prefer to speak to us?
Contact your Desjardins Agent.
The strength of Desjardins Group
Unwavering support for communities
$210,000 for Kids Help Phone and Alloprof
With schools closed, more young people are using support services like Kids Help Phone and Alloprof. Desjardins wants to support these organizations by contributing $210,000 to help them keep operating and handle the increased call volumes they're receiving.
Desjardins is here for you and your community. That’s why we’re donating $475,000 to the United Way, the Canadian Red Cross, Feed Ontario and Quebec food banks, which are helping families meet their basic needs.
You can count on us
We’re continuing to monitor the situation as it evolves and to listen to your concerns. Remember that we’re here to support you if you need help. Thank you for your trust.
Do you have an ongoing claim?
If you’re worried about delays with your home or car repairs, or you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to contact your claims advisor for advice and help with your claim. We’re here for you throughout your claim.
Our prevention measures
Our priority is keeping you and our employees safe. Desjardins Agents are following government health guidelines to help slow the spread of the virus.
- We're following public health instructions in the local areas where we operate.
- When possible, we’re staying in touch by phone and email.
Some conditions, exclusions and limitations may apply. These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. The relief measures described are temporary. The other terms and conditions relating to the coverage in force are specified in the insurance policy, which always prevails.