Updated: July 7, 2020
Supporting you is our priority
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, your Desjardins Agent is committed to supporting you during this difficult time. We’re here for you, now and always.
Additional auto insurance refund
Is your personal or commercial vehicle insured with us?
- You get an automatic refund on your car insurance premium.
- You don’t need to call us to get your refund. We’ll apply it automatically to car insurance policies in force on June 30, 2020.
To find out more, see our FAQ
Other relief measures
We understand that you may be struggling at this time. That’s why we want to make things a little easier for you with our relief measures.
Helping you make deliveries
During the pandemic, are you using your vehicle to deliver meals, groceries or prescription drugs?
- Whether you’re making deliveries as a volunteer or as the owner or employee of a restaurant, pharmacy or grocery store, we’re offering you temporary auto insurance coverage for deliveries at no extra charge.
- This coverage applies automatically to vehicles already insured with us before April 2, 2020.
- This coverage will not be added if deliveries are made via third party apps and services like UberEats, Skip the Dishes, Instacart and Amazon Flex. These services remain a prohibited use.
Increasing your coverage if you’re working from home
Are you working from home for your employer during the pandemic?
- We’ve temporarily increased our insurance for losses affecting home-based business property to $10,000 on our home insurance policies at no extra cost. That means if you’ve had to buy items like a computer or an ergonomic chair, you can work from home with peace of mind.
- This coverage applies automatically to existing policies. There’s no need to call us.
Offering you personalized help
We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has led to financial struggles for some of our clients. That’s why we’ve adopted relief measures for customers with car, home or life insurance as well as vehicle loans.
If you need help, contact your Agent for more information and to find a solution that meets your needs.
Additional auto insurance refund
Am I eligible?
- You need to have an auto insurance policy with Desjardins Insurance in force on June 30, 2020
- You need to insure a personal passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle (motorcycles and recreational vehicles are not eligible)
- If you’re eligible, we’ll apply your refund automatically. You don’t need to apply or call us.
I cancelled my auto policy before June 30, am I eligible?
No. To be eligible you need to have a policy in force on June 30, 2020.
How is the refund calculated?
The refund is 30% or 40%* of one month’s auto insurance premium. It’s the same calculation for personal and commercial vehicles. Let’s say your annual premium on June 30 is $1,200. That means your premium for one month is $100, so your refund will be $30 or $40.
*Depending on where you live
What if I have 2 cars on my insurance policy or more than one policy, will I get a refund for each one?
You’ll receive a refund for each auto insurance policy, based on the number of cars on the policy.
How will the refund be paid and when will I get it?
You should receive your refund in the next few weeks. Your refund will be applied using the same payment method you use to pay your insurance premium. For instance, if you pay by pre-authorized debit, we’ll deposit your refund into the account we have on file.
If you pay by cheque, we’ll send your refund by cheque and you may have to wait a little longer to receive your refund. Thank you for your patience.
If I change how much I use my car in the next few months because I’m working from home, can I update my insurance policy?
Yes. Just call your Desjardins agent to update the annual mileage for one or more vehicles on your policy.
I have home insurance with you. Will I get a refund on my premium?
No. We’re giving our car insurance customers a refund because we had fewer than expected car insurance claims in recent months.
What will happen if the pandemic goes on for much longer?
We’re staying on top of government directives as the situation evolves. For now, this refund applies to policies in force on June 30, 2020.
We’re here for you
Online or by phone
If you need to access your insurance documents, modify your policy or make a claim, our online services are always available.
Visit our My Account page to log in to your secure account, create an account, or download our mobile app.
Prefer to speak to us?
Contact your Desjardins Agent.
The strength of Desjardins Group
Unwavering support for communities
$210,000 for Kids Help Phone and Alloprof
With schools closed, more young people are using support services like Kids Help Phone and Alloprof. Desjardins wants to support these organizations by contributing $210,000 to help them keep operating and handle the increased call volumes they're receiving.
Desjardins is here for you and your community. That’s why we’re donating $475,000 to the United Way, the Canadian Red Cross, Feed Ontario and Quebec food banks, which are helping families meet their basic needs.
You can count on us
We’re continuing to monitor the situation as it evolves and to listen to your concerns. Remember that we’re here to support you if you need help. Thank you for your trust.
Do you have an ongoing claim?
If you’re worried about delays with your home or car repairs, or you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to contact your claims advisor for advice and help with your claim. We’re here for you throughout your claim.
Our prevention measures
Our priority is keeping you and our employees safe. Desjardins Agents are following government health guidelines to help slow the spread of the virus.
- We're following public health instructions in the local areas where we operate.
- When possible, we’re staying in touch by phone and email.
Some conditions, exclusions and limitations may apply. These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. The relief measures described are temporary. The other terms and conditions relating to the coverage in force are specified in the insurance policy, which always prevails.