Ways to reduce your insurance premiums
May 14, 2020
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s still important to protect your car, your home and your belongings. This is a tough time for many people, and that’s why we’ve put together some ways you could reduce your insurance premiums.
Bundle your policies
If you haven’t already done it, it’s well worth insuring your cars and recreational vehicles (like motorcycles, snowmobiles and campers), as well as your home and cottage with the same insurance company. Bundling all your policies can help you save on your premiums.
Update your car insurance
- Save on your car insurance during lockdown. If you’re using your car only for essential trips, you may be eligible for a relief measure. See how to apply if you’ve changed your driving habits because of
- Increase your deductibles. You can save on your premium by increasing your deductibles for Collision and Comprehensive coverage. But before you make any changes, make sure you’d be comfortable paying that amount in the event of a claim.
- Insure all your vehicles with us. You could save on your car insurance premium with our Multi-vehicle discount.
- Tell us if you install winter tires. When you have winter tires on your car in the colder months, you’ll enjoy better road safety and get our Winter Tire Savings.
- Get more discounts. Check out all our auto insurance savings and call us to see if you’re eligible.
Update your home insurance
- Review your coverage. It’s worth letting your insurance company know if you’ve made changes like re-roofing your home. It could save you money on your premium.
- Increase your deductible. A typical home insurance deductible is $500. If you’re comfortable paying more out of pocket in an insurance claim, you could increase it to say $1,000 and reduce your home insurance costs.
- Insure your home and your car with us. You could save on your home insurance with our Multi-line discount.
- Has someone in your home quit smoking? Let us know! A smoke-free home reduces the risk of a fire, and it lowers your insurance premium.
- Get more discounts. Check out our other home insurance savings and call us to see if you’re eligible.
Get a security system in your home
- Install a centrally-monitored fire and theft system. You could save on your home insurance with our Security System Discount.
- Protect your home from water damage. You’ll have peace of mind, and you could save on your home insurance with our Security System Discount.
Discover our relief measures
Desjardins Insurance has adopted a range of relief measures to help our customers during the pandemic. Find out more on our dedicated
These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. We recommend using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, tailored advice.
Desjardins Insurance refers to Certas Home and Auto Insurance Company, underwriter of automobile and property insurance or Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company, underwriter of life insurance and living benefits products.