What affects the price of car insurance
Many factors can affect the price of car insurance. This page can provide you with information about how your car insurance premium is determined.
If you have questions, contact your Desjardins Agent who can help you find the right coverage for your needs.
What you buy
How many coverages you purchase and the deductibles you choose will affect the price of your insurance premium.
What kind of car you drive
If you are buying or selling a car, you will need to re-evaluate your auto insurance needs.
Generally, the more expensive the car, the higher the auto insurance price.
Where you drive
Generally, due to higher rates of vandalism, theft and accidents, urban drivers pay a higher auto insurance price than those in small towns or rural areas.
How much you drive
People who use their car for business and long-distance commuting normally pay a higher car insurance premium than those who drive less.
Your age, gender and marital status
Accident rates are higher for all drivers under the age of 25, especially young males and single males. Car insurance prices in most provinces reflect these differences.
Your driving record
Accidents, regardless of fault, may impact your rate. Drivers in accidents generally must pay higher car insurance premiums than those who are accident-free for several years.
How you use your vehicle
Drivers who only use their vehicles for non-business related activities will generally pay a different insurance price than small business owners who rely on their cars, box trucks or pickups to get the job done.
What can I do to save money on my auto insurance premium?
- If you’re shopping for a car, consider how your choice will affect car insurance premiums.
- Find out more about the car’s features. Some insurers increase premiums for cars more susceptible to damage or occupant injury, and lower rates for those that fare better than the norm.
- Ask your Desjardins Agent about auto insurance discounts for insuring more than one vehicle, accident-free driving and more.
- Consider joining a car or van pool, or finding other transportation to get to work. If you reduce how much you drive, you may lower your car insurance price.
- Drive safely and sign up for Ajusto®. You'll get a more personalized auto insurance premium that's based on your driving behaviour and habits.
Ajusto is underwritten by Desjardins Insurance which refers to Certas Home and Auto Insurance Company.
® Ajusto is a registered trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Inc., used under licence.