Better car insurance savings for young drivers and students
How much will insurance cost?
As a teenager, your lack of driving experience means that you’re more likely to have a car accident. Your auto insurance premium reflects that risk. Whether you get your own car insurance, or you’re added to your parents’ policy, the cost is likely to be higher than average.
Tips to help you save
1. Drive safely
Insurers want to know that you’re a safe driver, so always drive carefully and follow the rules of the road.
If you can learn to be a patient driver, you’ll not only save on gas and car maintenance, but you’ll also avoid driving tickets and accidents.
2. Shop for insurance when you shop for a car
Not all cars are equal. Some are costly to repair after an accident, while others are popular with thieves. And these differences will be reflected in the premium.
So if you’re torn between 2 or 3 models, get insurance quotes to help you decide. You might be surprised at how much you can save just by choosing a different vehicle.Get a quote online and compare prices
3. Get insured on your parents’ policy
If you live at home, you may be able to get insured under your parents’ auto policy. It’s an easy way to save money on your insurance. The specifics vary by province, so talk it over with your local Desjardins Agent.
4. Check for discounts
As you shop for insurance, remember to look for discounts. And speak to your local Desjardins Agent about the discounts and factors that can lower the cost of car insurance.
Some provinces offer special discounts for young drivers:
If you live in New Brunswick, you may be eligible to receive the First Chance Discount, which helps young drivers get more affordable car insurance.
If you’re on your way to getting your driver’s licence in Ontario, you may be eligible for the Graduated License Discount, It can help you save on your insurance rate as long as you don’t have any recent driving convictions or at-fault accidents.
Desjardins Insurance also has discounts for college and university students.Learn more about our discounts and savings
5. Sign up for Ajusto
It’s a great way to learn how to drive safely and save on your insurance. You get instant feedback on your driving and discover ways to improve.
With Ajusto, you can show that you’re a safe driver and get rewarded with savings of up to 25%.Download our mobile app and sign up for Ajusto
Tips for parents
When you add a teenager to your auto policy:
- Your insurance rates will typically increase.
- Talk with your teenager about safe driving and explain why it’s important to build a good driving record by avoiding traffic violations.
- Consider getting a Personal Umbrella Liability Policy. Here are some reasons why it might be right for you:
- You could be sued if a driver listed on your policy accidentally injures someone or damages their property.
- It is not uncommon today for juries to award damages that exceed the liability limits on basic policies.
- Personal Umbrella Liability coverage amounts are available in increments of $1 million and supplement your present policies to provide additional personal liability protection.
Talk to your Desjardins Agent to add a new teenage driver to your existing policy and find out if you qualify for any auto insurance discounts in your area.
Your local Desjardins Agent
With Desjardins Insurance, your local agent is always close by with help and advice. Your agent helps you find the right insurance for your needs and adjusts it as your life changes.Find a Desjardins Agent near you