Your browser settings have cookies disabled. Some features of the site are not available or will not work correctly without cookies. To do so, refer to the help section of your Web browser.

Your province

Skip to content

Tenant insurance

Young couple shopping online for renter insurance or tenant insurance from a Desjardins Insurance agent.

Get a property insurance quote

Insurance type

Find an agent


Whether you rent a house, a condo or an apartment, protect your possessions with tenant insurance from Desjardins Insurance.

Contact your local Desjardins Agent to find the right coverage for you.

Why you need tenant insurance

Your landlord's insurance policy doesn't protect your belongings or offer you liability coverage.

Tenants insurance can help protect you in case of a liability lawsuit or if your possessions are stolen or damaged by fire or severe weather.

Find out why you need tenant insurance

What does tenant insurance cover?

Our all-risk insurance covers your personal property against things like:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Certain water damage
  • Theft

Find out what’s covered by tenant insurance

Tenant insurance discounts and savings

Save on your tenant insurance when:

  • You have no recent claims
  • You insure your home and car with us
  • You have a home security system

See discounts and savings for renters

AlertTM program

Alert is a prevention program that comes with a free water and freeze detector when you insure your home with us. If the unexpected happens, you’ll get an alert on your smartphone so you can act fast.

Learn more about the Alert program

TM Alert is a trademark of Desjardins General Insurance Group Inc., used under licence.

*As a tenant, your personal property is automatically covered while temporarily away from the premises up to a maximum of 10% of the amount of Coverage C. However, you can add an endorsement to cover your personal property up to 100% of Coverage C. The contents on this page do not form a contract and should not be relied upon to determine coverage. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy.

1 car/1 driver
Top of page