Your browser settings have cookies disabled. Some features of the site are not available or will not work correctly without cookies. To do so, refer to the help section of your Web browser.

Your province

Skip to content

Do I need tenant insurance?

As a renter, your belongings are not covered by your landlord’s policy. Without your own insurance, you would have to pay out of pocket in case of theft, fire or water damage. Not to mention the cost of staying somewhere else during repairs.

Tenant insurance covers your belongings and your liability. And getting insured is more affordable than you think.

Speak to your local Desjardins Agent to find the right coverage for you.

Did you know?

Chances are, you have more stuff than you realize. The average renter has over $35,000 worth of belongings.

Walk through your apartment adding up everything you own—you’ll probably be surprised. From big-ticket items, like the fridge and dishwasher, to all the little things like dishes and cookware, clothing and shoes. It adds up fast!

When you’re thinking about tenant insurance

Ask yourself:

  • How much are my belongings worth?
  • Could I afford to replace them if they were stolen or destroyed in a fire?
  • What would I do in the event of a liability lawsuit against me?
  • Could I afford to stay in a hotel if the building had to be repaired after a fire?

Take an inventory:

  • List everything you own and the cost of a replacement.
  • Add up the amounts to determine how much insurance you need.
  • Keep your inventory in a safe place.
  • Take photos of your rooms as a handy reminder if you need to make a claim.

Keep in mind

There may be a dollar limit on coverage for property like:

  • Computer software
  • Business property
  • Watercraft
  • Furs and jewellery

Speak to your Desjardins Agent to find out more.

This page contains only a general description of coverages and is not a contract. Details of coverage or limits may vary in some provinces. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.

Top of page