Your browser settings have cookies disabled. Some features of the site are not available or will not work correctly without cookies. To do so, refer to the help section of your Web browser.

StateFarm Canada is now Desjardins Insurance

State Farm® Canada is now Desjardins Insurance and your local State Farm Agent will now be known as your Desjardins Agent.

Please visit for more details.

Looking for the State Farm USA site? Visit it here:

Your province

Supporting you is our priority

We want to help you stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic. See how we can help.

Skip to content

Do I need tenants insurance?

Desjardins Insurance’s tenants insurance is designed to cover you in the case of a loss. If you’ve ever asked yourself, "Do I need tenants insurance?" the answer is probably yes.

A Desjardins Agent can help you find the coverage that’s specifically tailored to your needs.

Did you know?

The average person has over $35,000 worth of belongings that are probably not covered by a landlord's policy.

Most people's belongings are worth more than they realize. And the average cost of tenants insurance is quite affordable.

When looking for tenants insurance, you should:

Ask yourself:

  • How much are my belongings worth?
  • Could I afford to replace them all if they were destroyed in a fire or stolen?
  • What would I do in the event of a liability lawsuit against me?

Take an inventory of your possessions:

  • List each item, when you acquired it and the purchase price or current value.
  • Total the purchase price of these items for a rough idea of what your property is worth.
  • Once this is done, put your inventory in a safe place away from home, in a bank safe deposit box, for example.
  • Consider adding photos to your inventory. These can help if you need to file a claim.

Keep in mind:

Coverage for certain types of property, such as those listed below, may have a dollar limit in a tenants policy:

  • Money, bank notes, coin collections
  • Business property
  • Watercraft including trailers, accessories, motors, personal effects and equipment
  • Silverware and goldware (applies to theft or loss only)
  • Computer software
  • Furs and jewellery (applies to theft or loss only)

Coverage for antiques, works of art, paintings, statuary and similar articles that cannot be replaced by new articles, and property not useful for its intended purpose, is limited to its market value. Higher limits on some of these items are available through optional coverages.

This page contains only a general description of coverages and is not a contract. Details of coverage or limits may vary in some provinces. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.

Find an agent

Top of page