Tornado safety tips
If there’s a risk of a tornado, Environment Canada will issue warnings on the radio and television. You can also visit their weather website to check for alerts in your area.
When a tornado strikes, the most important thing is to keep you and your family safe. Here are some tips from the Government of Canada’s Get Prepared website.
How to prepare
- Go to the basement and take shelter in a small interior room.
- If you don’t have a basement, take shelter in an interior room on the ground floor, like a bathroom, closet or hallway.
- Stay away from windows, doors and exterior walls.
- Stay on the ground, protect your head and watch out for flying debris.
If you’re driving near a tornado
- Drive to the nearest solid shelter.
- If the tornado is very close, get away from your car and take shelter in a ditch.
- Don’t go towards the tornado. Tornados are unpredictable and can change direction quickly.