Tornado safety tips
If there’s a risk of a tornado, Environment Canada will issue warnings on the radio and television. You can also visit their weather website to check for alerts in your area.
When a tornado strikes, the most important thing is to keep you and your family safe. Here are some tips from the Government of Canada’s Get Prepared website.
How to prepare
- Go to the basement and take shelter in a small interior room.
- If you don’t have a basement, take shelter in an interior room on the ground floor, like a bathroom, closet or hallway.
- Stay away from windows, doors and exterior walls.
- Stay on the ground, protect your head and watch out for flying debris.
If you’re driving near a tornado
- Drive to the nearest solid shelter.
- If the tornado is very close, get away from your car and take shelter in a ditch.
- Don’t go towards the tornado. Tornados are unpredictable and can change direction quickly.
This information is provided for informational purposes only. Desjardins Insurance shall not be liable for any damages arising from any reliance upon such information. Desjardins Insurance recommends using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, expert advice.